Medical - OHC
ESH Concerns - DPO
> HM+AQ > CMS
Chemical Management Services
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do you mean by chemical?
The term "chemical" includes: Solvents, Paints and Coatings, Adhesives and Epoxies, Process Chemicals, Laboratory Chemicals, Cryogens, Bulk Gases, Compressed Gases, Mineral Oil, Maintenance Chemicals(Oils, Lubricants, Freons, etc.), Pesticides, Solders, Fuels, Abrasive Grit, Sandblast media, Welding Rod
The following materials are excluded: Raw metals such as aluminum, copper, stainless steel, lead and metallic alloys (Invar, etc.), Radioactive materials, User samples
NOTE: some material not currently included in the project scope may still have hazardous properties. The user/requester is responsible to know what the hazards are. Please contact ESH if you have chemical safety questions.
- Are there any exemptions for office supplies?
Office supplies (pens, markers, toner, glue sticks, white out, white board and glass cleaners...) used in non-industrial applications and purchased in consumer-scale packaging and in quantities not greater than those purchased by the average consumer, can be purchased outside the system. For example; a bottle of glass cleaner purchased by someone to clean their computer screen or office window would be exempt. The same product purchased by the janitorial staff in order to fulfill their job function would need to be purchased through
- Will ESH still be reviewing every chemical purchase?
Staff authorized to purchase chemicals will be identified by the business managers of each department that uses chemicals. The review process will be limited to direct
work area coordinators of each location. The review process will be entirely online and traceable
in the PeopleSoft system.
- How do I receive GSS chemical ordering training?
- If new user to PeopleSoft,
contact ERP support for requisition training.
- If new to GSS chemicals, contact the CMS Coordinator.
- User guides are also available under CMS Resources.
- How do I find what I am looking for in
GSS Chemicals eShop?
In GSS, f you know the vendor, check the left side bar on the main
home page to verify if we have them listed as a punchout supplier.
If listed, click on the link to load the supplier’s website.
If vendor is not listed, check under the “Products and Suppliers”
tab near the top of the main home page. If not listed, try
searching the “Search” box near the top. Once the search results
pull up, refine your search by using the search tools on the left
side of your screen.
If supplier is unknown or not listed, we recommend searching
through the punchouts we offer. If you can’t find what you want in
the punchouts, please try the search engine near the top of our
- I tried all the punchouts and search tools but still can’t find what I need?
If vendor or supplier is still not listed after trying the punchouts and search
engine, submit a quote request to us. To do so, click on “Contact Us” on the
main page. Fill in your information and what is needed. Alternatively, email us
at SLACorders@govsci.com . within 24
- How do I send a Request for Quote?
Located on main page near the top, hover over “Orders” until the drop down menu appears. Click on “Item Request”, fill in all necessary information and tell us what you need. Alternatively, you can email us at
SLACorders@govsci.com and one of us will respond as soon as possible within 24 hours.
- I have been waiting for a response to my quote request; how long should this take?
- If we have done business with the supplier and have valid
pricing, it should be same day. We have price files from most
- If we have done business with the supplier before but do
not have valid pricing, this should still typically be a one
day wait time but may go as long as two days if the supplier
is slow responding.
- If we have never done business with the supplier before,
this may take up to 5 days to setup them up in our system.
- How do I place an order for a Chemical?
If you have questions about the process for ordering chemicals, the best person to contact is the SLAC Chemical Coordinator
- Expedite fee?
The expedite fee is a $25 base charge. Please note that shipping costs will be added. Note: There can be a lot of factors that drive that price up so please keep in mind, size, weight, distance and mode of transportation when choosing this option.
- How do I know when my order is scheduled to be delivered?
- If GSS, items typically arrive 5-7 days. Please keep in mind that there may be mitigating factors. We will do our best to let you know of any delay via back order notifications.
- If the order is time sensitive, you can always contact us at
SLACorders@govsci.com in advance to see if the item can make your deadline.
- My item is past due, how do I check the status?
Contact us at SLACorders@govsci.com to get an order status. While we anticipate a same day response, please keep in mind this may take a short while since we have to reach out to the supplier to inquire about the status of your item(s).
- Can I save my cart for future use?
In the view cart page in the checkout process underneath your cart, there should be three orange buttons. Click on the button that reads “To My List.” Name and save your cart for future use, or add the items currently in your cart to a previously saved list.
To access your saved lists in the upper right hand corner, is an icon located next to the shopping cart that reads “User.”
Click Users > select “My Account Page” > click on “Favorites List”.
- How do I forward my cart to an authorized chemical purchaser?
Once you have added your items to the cart you can continue into the checkout phase. There should be an option at the bottom of the view cart page to forward your cart to an authorized chemical purchaser of your choice.
- How do I return an item?
Located on the GSS page and under the “Orders” tab in the
menu, select the option for returns. Once submitted, we will
address it as soon as possible.
- How do I get my empty Airgas Cylinder picked up?
Located on the GSS Chemical homepage on the left side under “Available Custom Catalogs”, there is a link to an “Airgas Cylinder Pickup Request Form.” Fill in this form with the required information. We anticipate your cylinder should be picked up within the next 1-2 business days.
- How do I place an order for Gold Shield brand Ethanol?
Send an email to
- In the request, please include the following information: Name, address (specific delivery location), quantity, size of container (1 gal, 5 gal or pint), grade (190 or 200 proof) and a project-activity (PA) number.
Note: individuals may not pick up and transport ethanol in personal vehicles.