MFD Shops & Services
Please click on one of the following links to find out more
information about the Mechanical Fabrication Department's capabilities
or contact information for a specific shop. For information
regarding the status of an in-process job, please click the
button for "Job Input & Tracking" and choose "Current and historical
job database search."
- Production Planning & Control
- Services include job input, estimating, scheduling,
planning, routing, tracking, and expediting
of jobs; material ordering; and handling outside vendor
- Braze Shop / Precision Assembly
- Services include assembly and brazing, coating, and
high-temperature firing, as well as coil fabrication and
non-vacuum related accelerator maintenance.
- Machine Shop
- Our machine shop. Follow this link for a list of
capabilities and contact information for both locations.
Also available are several machines for qualified staff
- Metal Finishing Shop
- Degreasing, UHV cleaning, and plating are performed
in MFD's Metal Finishing Shop.
- Fabrication Shop (Sheet Metal, Weld,
and Coil Shops)
- As the name implies, sheet metal-related fabrication
and welding is handled by this shop. "Clean" welding for
vacuum system parts is handled by this shop's personnel.
This shop manufactures and repairs magnets and magnet
coils as well.
- Vacuum Shop
- The Vacuum Shop performs the assembly, bake-out, and
maintenance for SLAC's ultra-high vacuum systems and components.
- Field Operations
- The Operations Group assists MFD and its customers by
providing guidance and feedback based on years of experience
working in the areas of production, fabrication, and maintenance
- Internal MFD Support
- Machine Tool Maintenance
- The Machine Tool Maintenance group preserves the function
of SLAC's metal working machinery, manufacturing process
systems, and capital equipment throughout their useful lives.
Click here to find out service and contact information.
- Safety Office
- The MFD Safety Office focuses on the “Work Safe” part
of “Work Safe, Work Smart, Work Fast”(B. Richter - SLAC
Director Emeritus, 1996). Specifically, the office assists
the line in maximizing the protection of MFD’s people, property,
and environment while meeting production goals.
- Information Technology
- The Information Technology Group provides support for
MFD computer users, including manufacturing, data acquisition,
and desktop applications, and the department's servers,
printers, peripheral hardware, and network communications.