Hoisting and Rigging
Procedures and Approvals
All H&R activates must be performed using a procedure
or lift plan approved by Karen Holtemann (Safety Officer) or
Karen Fant (Department Head).
Inspection of Hoisting
& Rigging Equipment
Hoisting & Rigging equipment must go through several different types of inspections
Pre-use inspections are performed by the operator that will be using the equipment.
Annual inspections are performed by a qualified inspector. Equipment that meets
inspection criteria is marked with and inspection sticker indicating the date
of next inspection.
- All cranes (including shop cranes/cherry pickers), hoists and below-the-hook lifting devices (spreader bars,
bridles, hooks, plate clamps, magnets etc) are inspected annually.
Equipment with expired inspections must not be used.
- Rigging hardware such as shackles, synthetic slings, eyebolts, turnbuckles
do not require inspection stickers, but must be inspected by the prior to
H&R Equipment Inventory
MFD Maintains an inventory of all cranes, hoists, and below-the-hook lifting devices.
The inventory includes photos of the item, equipment information, certifications,
Purchasing H&R Equipment
When purchasing new H&R equipment:
1090 Appendix A- "Procurement Guidelines" for requirements specific to the
equipment you are purchasing. Be sure to specify in your purchase requisition
that the vendor must provide:
- load test certification
- comply with applicable sections of DOE Standard 1090 Appendix A; "Procurement
Guidelines". You may want to attach the applicable sections to the
purchase order and specify that the vendor must comply.
- NDT (non-destructive testing) certification of all load bearing welds
- Provide a originals of all certifications to Karen Holtemann. Karen
- Input the item into the MFD H&R inventory including scans of all certifications
- Complete the necessary documentation and arrange for initial-use inspection
of the item by a qualified inspector.
- When the equipment is ready to be put into service, it will be tagged with
an inspection sticker. Equipment cannot be used until it is tagged.
Examples of Previous Lifts
H&R Links and Resources