MFD Shops & Services
Please click on one of the following links to find out more
information about the Mechanical Fabrication Department's capabilities
or contact information for a specific shop. For information
regarding the status of an in-process job, please click the
button for "Job Input & Tracking" and choose "Current and historical
job database search."
- Coil Shop / Precision Assembly
- Services include magnet assembly as well as coil fabrication and
non-vacuum related accelerator maintenance. This shop
manufactures and repairs magnets and magnet coils as
- Machine Shop
- Our machine shop. Follow this link for a list of
capabilities and contact information for both locations.
Also available are several machines for qualified staff
- Metal Finishing Shop
- Degreasing, UHV cleaning, and plating are performed
in MFD's Metal Finishing Shop.
- Fabrication Shop (Sheet Metal
and Weld Shops)
- As the name implies, sheet metal-related fabrication
and welding is handled by this shop. "Clean" welding for
vacuum system parts is handled by this shop's personnel.
- Vacuum Shop
- The Vacuum Shop performs the assembly, bake-out, and
maintenance for SLAC's ultra-high vacuum systems and components.
- Field Operations
- The Operations Group assists MFD and its customers by
providing guidance and feedback based on years of experience
working in the areas of production, fabrication, and maintenance
- Machine Tool Maintenance
- The Machine Tool Maintenance group preserves the function
of SLAC's metal working machinery, manufacturing process
systems, and capital equipment throughout their useful lives.
Click here to find out service and contact information.