Skip to main content.

 A-Z Index

ESH Forms

SLAC Training

ESH Manual

ESH Departments

SLAC Site Security

SLAC Medical - OHC

ESH Contacts

ESH SharePoint Programs

SLAC Emergency Status

A-Z Index


Radiation Protection
Overviewspacer Mission Statementspacer Documentsspacer RP FAQsspacer RP-only Internal

Radiation Protection

Frequently Asked Questions

    • General Radiation Protection Questions
        - I have a radiation safety concern or suggestion that I would like to report. What should I do?
        - What is the radiological control organization at SLAC?
        - What are responsibilities of Radiation Physic group (RPG)?
        - What are responsibilities of Radiation Protection Field Operation Group (RPFO)?
        - What are responsibilities of DREP (Dosimetry and Radiological Environmental Protection) group?
        - What are responsibilities of RWM (Radioactive Waste Management) group?
        - What are responsibilities of Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and Radiation Safety Committee (RSC)?
        See the Department FAQ page for the answers
    • Dosimetry
        - Why do I have to wear a dosimeter?
        - Where at SLAC do I have to wear my dosimeter?
        - What training do I need to get a dosimeter?
        - Where can I take the training?
        - After training, where can I get the dosimeter?
        - How do I wear my dosimeter?
        - What are things that I should never do to my dosimeter?
        - What should I do if I lose my dosimeter?
        - What should I do if I receive X-Ray radiation therapy or medical treatment involving internal radioactive isotopes while wearing my dosimeter?
        - What should I do if my dosimeter goes through security x-ray machine at the airport?
        - What can I do if I am pregnant or I plan to become pregnant?
        - What should I do if I want to withdraw my formally declared pregnancy in writing?
        - How do I return / exchange my dosimeter?
        - Do I need to return my dosimeter before leaving SLAC permanently?
        - How can I get my dose report?
        - Can I have my radiation dose records transferred to other institutions?
        - What kind of dosimeter does SLAC use for monitoring individual exposure?
        - What is inside a dosimeter?
        See the Dosimetry FAQ page for answers
    • Dosimetry Online Forms FAQ
            Answers questions about the SLAC Dosimeter/ID Request form and the My SLAC Dose Report.
    • Field Operations
        - What are the requirements for entering a RCA?
        - Where can I get a GERT or RWT training?
        - I need a practical test for my RWT. Who can I call and when are they administered?
        - What are the radiation dose rates around the accelerator housings?
        - I want to remove material from an Accelerator Housing. What do I do?
        - Why do ALL materials taken to Property Control, Salvage need to be surveyed by RP?
        - How can I acquire a radioactive source to use, and what radioisotopes are available at SLAC?
        See the Field Operations FAQ page for answers
    • Radioanalysis Lab
        - What is the Radioanalysis Laboratory?
        - Whom can I call in case of any questions?
        - When do I need radioactive analysis?
        - How does the Rad Lab analyze samples?
        - How large of a sample is needed for analysis?
        - What are the typical turnaround times for analysis?
        - How do I know when my sample has been analyzed?
        - How do I interpret the results?
        See the Radioanalysis Lab FAQ page for answers
    • Radiological Environmental Protection (REP)
        - How does SLAC monitor its potential radiological environmental impacts? Where can I find the relevant reports?
        - Whom can I call in case of any questions regarding the Radiological Environmental Programs?
        - How does SLAC monitor the potential doses to the public due to direct radiation like skyshine?
        - How does SLAC monitor the potential doses to the public due to radioactive air release?
        - How does SLAC monitor potential radioactive water releases?
        - What is MEI (Maximum Exposed Individual)?
        See the REP FAQ page for answers
    • Radiation Physics
        - I have a radiological safety question about my potential or on-going experiment involving accelerator beam, whom can I call?
        - What is a Beam Authorization Sheet (BAS) or a Beam Line Authorization (BLA) sheet?
        - What is a Radiation Safety Work Control form (RSWCF)? When do I have to use it? Where do I find the detailed procedure of using a RSWCF?
        - What do I have to do to remove or modify items labeled as “radiation safety items”?
        - I am running an experiment and would like to change the operating conditions, e.g. extending BAS time period, bypassing safety interlocked devices (BCS and PPS), or inserting something into the beam line. Are there any special concerns or anything I have to do?
        - I am designing a new beam line, beam-related experiment or a test at SLAC. How do I start to go through to determine the safety requirements?
        See the Radiation Physics FAQ page for answers
    • Radioactive Waste Management
        - I’m already Radioactive Worker II trained; why do I need waste generation training?
        - Why am I responsible for managing the waste I produce as part of my work?
        - What are my responsibilities for managing the wastes I produce as part of my work?
        - Why is waste minimization or elimination important?
        - What is mixed waste?
        - How can I minimize or prevent the generation of mixed wastes?
        - What are typical mixed wastes generated at SLAC?
        - What other materials could potentially become mixed wastes?
        - Why are radioactive brass and soldered metals potentially mixed wastes? Aren’t these recycled?
        - What do I do if I have radioactive brass or soldered metal waste items?
        - Who can help me with my radioactive and mixed waste questions?
        See the Radioactive Waste Management FAQ page for answers

    If none of these are the questions (or answers) that you are looking for, please see the Radiation Protection contact list, and inquire of one of the personnel.

Last update: