SLUO Executive Committee

Minutes of June 14, 2005 Meeting

 

 

Gregory Dubois-Felsmann (Chair), Gabriella Sciolla, Eli Rosenberg, Alexandre Telnov, Eric Torrence, Bruce Schumm (Secretary/Treasurer), Berrie Giebels, Abi Soffer (Coordinator of Committees), Lance Dixon, David Lange, Yury Kolomensky

 

 

Chairís Report

 

Gregory reported that the makeup of the SLUO Administration is being reviewed by Steve Williams, Persis Drell and Charlotte Chang now that Fran Spiller has retired. However, the process has been somewhat delayed due to the accident and the reorganization of Laboratory management reflecting the increased emphasis on Basic Energy Sciences. The lab plans to advertise the SLUO administrative position, but is awaiting the conclusion of its evaluation of the role of the SLUO administration.

 

Gregory suggested that the oversight function of the SLUO executive committee relative to the SLUO office has been somewhat neglected in the recent past. This led to a discussion of the scope of SLUO as the lab shifts its focus more to basic energy sciences.

 

Robin Staffin has asked to meet with the Chair this week; Ray Orbach may also want to meet with user representatives later this month. Gregory will update us on these meetings as appropriate.

 

 

Steve Williams

 

Steve reported that the lab is considering the hiring of a temporary (3 months?) staff person while the overall SLUO administrative structure is determined by the directorís office. Although it is still under consideration, Steve suggested that the SLUO base might most naturally be HEP and astro/particle-astro, keeping the light source community outside of SLUO, at least for the near term. Negotiations will need to take place with the SSRL userís office in order to make sure that potential LCLS community scientists have a userís home within SSRL.

 

We discussed the process of redefining the role of SLUO; it was suggested that we should begin by viewing existing job descriptions if they exist. One important role that was identified is maintenance of an overall database of users, including their status (active, lapsed, dormant), and their departmental or experimental affiliation. We need some fail-safe mechanism to ensure that people make it into the database. We also need clear procedure for removing people from the database, and tracking them as they move from institution to institution. Developing a structure for all of this would be a duty of the newly-hired SLUO administrator.

 

 

Annual Meeting Organization

 

The date for the SLUO Annual Meeting has been set for September 26. Interest has been expressed by Robin Staffin; there may also be interest on the part of Congressional representatives. Perhaps also one of the new OSTP (US Office of Science and Technology Policy) members might want to attend. A preliminary agenda, developed in the March 11 2005 public meetings subcommittee, was presented by Gabriella. The agenda was refined after substantial discussion.

 

 

Outreach

 

Ray Cowan presented a written report on outreach efforts; see attached.

 

 

Computing

 

The Computing Coordinating Committee (Aaron Roodman, chair), which has broad representation from the different components of SLAC, is trying to understand how the stance of SCS should change as the lab pulls away from its primary function of supporting BaBar. David Lange raised the question as to whether users should be proactively polled to better understand the adequacy and efficiency of allocation of SLAC computing resources.

 

 

Public Meetings

 

Mike Sokoloff organized a successful series of graduate student talks (Mike will be asked to report in July). The Public Meetings subgroup also developed the Annual Meeting preliminary agenda (see above). There was also some support for having another statistics lecture series, perhaps to be given by Ilya Narsky and Frank Porter of Caltech.

 

 

Washington, D.C. Trip

 

Abi reported that, despite the BTeV cancellation, coordination and cooperation with the Fermilab UEC went well. There were of order 60 visits, resulting in a Dear Colleague letter on the House Floor that garnered 121 signatures. A similar letter enjoyed a large number of signatures on the Senate floor. There was one response berating the visitors for not acknowledging the support that the congress had given last year. This needs to be remembered for next year Ė when the Congress augments the Presidentís budget, even if the overall result is not viewed as favorable, the Congress needs to be acknowledged. We also need to continue with follow-up, to keep the attention of congressional contacts directed towards the physical science budget. Overall though, the visit was thought to be very successful, although at a substantial cost in attendeeís time.

 

 

Quality of Life

 

Eric reported that we are waiting for Lee Lyon to set up the possibility of users buying into the SLAC Blue-Cross program in which SLAC post-docs currently participate. It appeared that this is imminent; Eric will contact Lee and hopefully this will be in place soon. The group also hopes to review the new-user packet currently available through the SLUO office. Once the new health and welfare options are available, the new user packet will need to incorporate information about these.

 

 

Adjournment

 

The meeting adjourned at 10:55am.