SLUO Executive Committee Meeting

November 3, 2000

Present: John Harton, Tricia Rankin, Charlie Young, Fran Spiller, Ben Brau, Sridhara Dasu, Tom Glanzman, Chris Damerell, Janis McKenna, Ray Frey

On Phone: Tania McMahon, Phil Burrows, Riccardo de Sangro, Neil Geddes, Homer Neal

Absent, with regrets: Gerard Bonneaud, Natalie Roe

New members of the SLUO executive committee were introduced:

John Harton, Phil Burrows, Sridhara Dasu, Homer Neal

Report from Chair:

Ray Frey summarized SLUO activities over the past year:

Outgoing members reports and advice:

Chris Damerell: SLAC and SLUO are currently moving in a good direction. Chris is pleased with progress and our input in the on-site user lodging facility. He sees the most pressing problem for SLAC and the US user community is the decision making process for the global HEP community. We should try to avoid regionalism and maintain an international perspective on next major HEP facility in planning processes for future. We should look for more ways to link major HEP labs users organizations. The recent SLUO and FNAL Users Organizations interactions have been very positive, as we have shared common interests. SLUO should consider expanding user organization interactions further, making connections with DESY, CERN, KEK and other HEP labs users organizations. Lab directors meet often, Chris proposed that chairpersons of the HEP users organizations should build on this and meet at convenient opportunities to communicate concerns and work together.

Office Report:

Fran reported that her new assistant Nicole left SLAC. The assistant's job is very busy, but not so challenging career-wise. Fran suggests reworking the job description to attract a suitable person. The present job description is very technical, whereas the job is a varied combination of technical and clerical skills. Perhaps we could advertise for a part-time position and put less emphasis on technical skills.

The SLUO and SID users databases are now merged. Information in the ES&H database still needs to be incorporated into this new database.

Election of new officers:

Thanks to all outgoing committee members.

Tricia is elected as SLUO chair, Janis as secretary, Sridhara as Coordinator of Committees.

Tricia thanked Ray on behalf of everyone for the excellent job he's done for the SLUO user community over the past 2 years.

Areas of main interest for SLUO for upcoming year

All present expressed their main areas of concern for SLUO so as to help make committee membership assignments.

New Office Building

At our last SLUO meeting, the new building was in the design phases. The architect's original design had lots of open space, but users prefer closed office space. Tania was the SLUO representative in the consulting group, and encouraged the revised design, which now has most of the office space areas enclosed. There will be 116 offices, each with occupancy 1-6. There will be a "discussion area" close to the kitchen. Cuts to keep the project to budget will be necessary. Stanford University Trustees approved the new building in June 2000. Open issues remaining are disability access, and equipment for a state-of-the-art-conference facility.

Possible Changes in the SLUO Charter

Ray and Tricia reminded us that in the past we've had ex-officio participation at SLUO meetings. The current election process has given us a SLUO exec committee dominated by BaBar. (Only one SLUO executive committee member is not a BaBar member.) It is in the interest of the user community to have SLUO representation from the accelerator, end-station, GLAST, NLC, and other SLAC user communities.

A committee will examine means by which to increase the diversity of the SLUO executive committee. This would likely require a change in the charter, which requires a vote of support from SLUO user community.

We shall also consider changing the SLUO Charter so as to remove the restriction that the Secretary and Coordinator of Committees be non-SLAC employees. We would also like to consider removing the recommendation in the Charter that Chair be employed by an institution in the US. The Director has indicated that he would like some time to first think about these two proposals, which if supported, would require a change the SLUO Charter.

Communication and Community Outreach

SLUO sees a role for itself in linking and improving communication between major HEP User's Organizations. We shall encourage mechanisms to have the chairs of SLUO and other users organizations meet to discuss common issues when convenient -- for example, at Snowmass, DPF meetings, Lepton-Photon/Rochester meetings, etc.

Lunch Meeting with Directorate

Jonathan Dorfan, Richard Mount, Andrea Chan, Steve Williams, Greg Loew, PA Moore joined the Committee.

Jonathan reported that the President's budget last year was very difficult for HEP. The DOE budget was essentially flat, but includes the new $100M spallation neutron source, so that all other base programs would have to be cut. The science community came together and rescued the budget. The Administration was made aware of the damage to the Physical Sciences over recent years. The New Director of the DOE Office of Science, Mildred Dresselhaus, is pleased with the 15% increase/year seen recently in the life sciences, and is encouraging similar increases in the physical sciences over the next several years. Her goal is to double the physical sciences budget over next 7 years.

This year President's SLAC Budget was $14.5 million short of the funding necessary for a good program.

SLAC will continue to help sending physicists to Washington to make the case for increased support in HEP and the physical sciences. SLAC hosts researchers almost every state in the USA. Communication with local congressional representatives and communication/interaction between various HEP users in support of a global HEP plan has already yielded positive results and is encouraged by Dorfan. He also notes that HEPAP now is a joint DOE+NSF panel. Dorfan sees the highest priority for our field is the utilization of current facilities in light of current shortage of funding. Accelerator R&D is the lifeblood of our field, and requires an appropriate level of funding. The US needs a frontier facility for the health of US HEP program. This is equally important for the entire international HEP community.

The White Paper is a good beginning to crucial year.

SLAC User's Lodging Facility

Stanford University will put up funding for a 110-bed building on-site at SLAC. The cost goal is approximately $50-$60/night. Stanford University Trustees need to agree to allocate the money; the Stanford University President has already agreed.

New Office Building

Some embellishments have been removed in order to decrease cost of the new office building from the current $5.4M plan. The project will go out to bids soon. Groundbreaking should be at the end of Jan 2001, building starts around April 2001, with the project to be finished early in 2002.

Last third of Linac?

The first free electron laser at 1 Angstrom is a possible new opportunity for SLAC. The cost would be about $150M and it would involve using the last third of the linac as an injector for the FEL. A bypass will be built so that a straight-ahead 50GeV beam can still be used in ESA. SLAC will dedicate up to 75% of the annual running time for the last third of the linac to the LCLS - the ramainder of the running time will be available for ESA. This proposal has been considered by the Scientific Program Committee.

Annual Meeting

The Directorate supports a proposal to have the SLUO AGM adjacent to a BaBar collaboration meeting. A tentative date may be the first week of May, to be joined with the Babar meeting.

EPAC committee membership.

SLUO has input into the membership of the EPAC committee. SLUO nominates at least three candidates and the Laboratory is obligated to appoint at least one of the SLUO candidates to the

EPAC committee. SLUO input is needed by end of this year. The next EPAC meeting is during the week of November 6,2000.

Computing

BaBar currently dominates tape activity at SCS, but has < 25% of the slots in the tape robots. Richard Mount proposed to remove tapes which have not been accessed at all in the past 2 years. Any one wanting to access old data will have to transfer it all to new STK 9840 drive media. The old tape drives will be phased out. Storage space is not an issue. Approximately 100 old tapes may be copied to 1 new tape. Everything can be transferred from old to new tapes, but this process requires tape owners to figure out how to read data off old tapes for transfer to new storage media.

Tom, Richard and Andrea Chan are presently setting up a new draft policy for establishing new computer accounts and retiring accounts of people no longer associated with SLAC. The retirement procedure would be to poll PI's for current group members, and block accounts of people who are gone for more than 1 year. Accounts would then be deleted after 2 years with no activity. Andrea Chan will work on producing a document to inform the SLAC user community of this new policy.

2001 Washington Trip

The 2001 Washington trip will be organized in consultation with FNAL User's Committee.

Snowmass

The Snowmass meeting will take place in the first 3 weeks in July - Chris Quigg the is main organizer -- see DPF 2000 web page for information.

Committees:

It was decided that for each committee, we would add an extra committee member not on the SLUO executive in order to increase the users representation for these issues. These extra members were confirmed early in December, subsequent to this meeting:

Homer Neal, Ray Frey , Ben Brau, CharlieYoung, Phil Burrows, SridharaDasu, Amanda Weinstein The next meeting of the SLUO Executive Committee will be on February 2, 2001.

Submitted by Janis McKenna.