SLAC Users Organization Executive Committee


Minutes of the May 16, 1996 Meeting of the Users Executive Committee

Present: S.Hertzbach, J.Huber, J.Johnson, T.Mattison, U.Nauenberg, M.Piccolo (by phone), F.Porter, S.Willocq, and R.Dufresne.

1. Approval of Minutes

There were no amendments to the minutes of the previous meeting on April 12, 1996.

2. PI/Faculty Meeting

Nauenberg reported on the Principal Investigators (PI) and Faculty meeting held on May 15. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the outcome of the SLUO-sponsored SLAC 2000 New Ideas Forum. The report from the Organizing Committee served as the basis for discussion of future projects to be carried out at SLAC in the years 2000+. It was stressed that the new initiatives should not interfere with the PEP-II/BaBar program. The participants were: R.Arnold (American), C.Baltay (Yale), J.Brau (Oregon), P.Burchat (Stanford), D.Hitlin (CalTech), T.Kamae (Tokyo), U.Nauenberg (Colorado), P.Oddone (LBL), A.Seiden (UC Santa Cruz), and M.Witherell (UC Santa Barbara) for the PI, and E.Bloom, M.Breidenbach, D.Burke, L.Dixon, J.Dorfan, S.Drell, J.Jaros, D.Leith, G.Loew, E.Patterson, C.Prescott, B.Richter, R.Ruth, and R.Siemann for the SLAC Faculty.

The consensus was that three of the program options presented at the SLUO SLAC 2000 forum were scientifically the most interesting within the operational constraints. These initiatives are: SLC/SLD-2000, Open Charm Photoproduction, and Left-Right Asymmetry in Moller Scattering. Upon reviewing these, a clear consensus emerged in favor of the SLC/SLD-2000 program. However, the two fixed target experiments were considered feasible and could form the basis of a six-year fixed target program that would provide an alternate program to the SLC/SLD-2000 program. There were questions about the solidity of the SLC luminosity upgrade estimates, as well as about SLD's ability to handle a possible increase in backgrounds. In addition to the interest in the physics, it was felt that an upgraded SLC reaching its design luminosity would be an important part of the program to understand the luminosity of the NLC. The B-Factory and BaBar upgrades were deemed to be important and a part of the base program.

The three selected new initiatives will be reviewed more carefully during the Scientific Policy Committee (SPC) meeting to be held in the Fall. In particular, more precise cost estimates for the various projects will be available.

3. Annual Meeting

The agenda for the June 6 Annual Meeting was finalized after it was established that John O'Fallon from the DOE would be attending. Nauenberg will draft a letter to be sent to regional institutions to stress the importance for graduate students, postdocs and senior physicists to attend the Annual Meeting. It was also agreed to send flyers about the meeting to major West Coast universities and laboratories.

4. Discussions with Management

Burt Richter and Steve Williams joined the meeting for lunchtime discussions.

Richter first commented that the PI/Faculty meeting was quite successful and that a clear consensus came out of the discussions. He reiterated the notion that PEP-II and NLC are the two highest priority items in SLAC's future program, followed by both GLAST and advanced accelerator R&D. The most interesting new initiative is the SLC/SLD-2000 proposal. Richter added that this proposal is expensive and that there are technical uncertainties in the projected SLC luminosity increase. Committees are now actively investigating the potential interference with PEP-II, the technical feasibility of the luminosity upgrade, and the cost of the project. These studies are required to be completed by the Fall SPC meeting. Overall, Richter was very happy with SLUO's New Ideas Forum effort, and especially praised the Organizing Committee for a very good and useful report.

Richter was asked about the retirement of Wilmot Hess, DOE's Associate Director for High Energy and Nuclear Physics. He suggested SLUO should contact the Search Committee chair, Jim Decker, to find ways for the SLAC users to contribute to the search process.

The forthcoming Washington visit by some members of the SLUO Executive Committee was briefly discussed. Richter recommended a series of Congressional offices to visit and encouraged more members to participate.

Nauenberg mentioned SLUO's desire to improve the Particle Physics education of graduate students and postdocs working at SLAC. One problem is that the usual class is taught at Stanford and the number of students allowed to audit it is limited. Williams will find out the cost of registration as an audit student. Richter thought a student journal club would be more useful and easier to organize if one could find a couple of SLAC Faculty to take responsibility for it. Nauenberg will continue exploring these options.

The discussion shifted to the topic of security around the Lab. Williams has recently talked to one suspect individual who was told not to return to SLAC. It took quite some time to recover the individual's ID badge. This brought up the question whether SLAC should require ID cards to be re-issued on a yearly basis.

Williams said a series of refurbished SSC MacIntoshes have arrived and will be installed in the Warehouse once the appropriate locks are available. A new access policy to the Warehouse will be put in place. Instead of distributing keys to the entrance door, users will be given an access code number. This system should allow for greater flexibility. It was commented by members of the Executive Committee that a magnetic card system would be better, albeit more expensive.

5. Next SLUO Executive Meeting

The date of the next Executive Committee meeting was tentatively set for Friday August 9.

Minutes submitted by Stéphane Willocq (Secretary/Treasurer Users Executive Committee)


Stéphane Willocq