CUSTOMIZING YOUR CONFERENCE SITE
InfoMedia has designed numerous conference websites at SLAC over the years. Our
experts have prepared a modular website creation structure allowing us to build
just the right site for your conference. Please take the time to review
our most common offerings, highlighted below.
HINT: For more information on InfoMedia's Conference Services, read the
"Conference Services Shopping List" (available in either
You may want your conference website to allow online registration. If so, InfoMedia connects a Registration Database to your site, allowing conference attendees to register for your conference. Other benefits of a database attached to your conference site include tracking attendees, as well as automating the creation of mailing labels, email lists,
InfoMedia works directly with you to help identify your data collection needs, but reviewing your needs before meeting with InfoMedia will help facilitate planning. The following questions may help you determine your customized conference site needs.
- Will the conference have working groups?
- Do you want to offer online payment?
- Would you like to know in advance if an attendee would like to give a talk?
- Do you want to know the titles of the presentations ahead of time?
- Would you like to collect attendee comments?
- Would you like to allow registrants access to edit their own information (dynamic system)?
The website is configured to collect standard contact information. However, customized data fields can be added to support your specific conference needs.
See below for information on enhancing your registration module by incorporating
additional plug-in modules.
|Basic Contact Information:
||Optional Additional Contact
- First name
- Last name
- Address, line 1
- Zip/Postal Code
- Daytime phone
- E-mail address
- Job title
- Field of Interest
- Middle initial
- Address, line 2
- Evening phone
- Online Payment
It is important to plan ahead to ensure you collect accurate and useful data. Note, most InfoMedia services are offered at no charge, however late or frequent changes may incur a charge back.
Will you want to distribute an Abstract book at the conference? Let InfoMedia help you. We can build your conference site to include online abstract collection, review, edit, and approval. Before your conference, InfoMedia then publishes the approved abstracts into a customized book for your conference.
The following questions may help you determine your customized conference
- What is the acceptance process for abstracts?
- When is the cutoff date for abstract submission?
- Would you like presenters to go back into the database and update their abstract information (dynamic system)?
- If you are planning to have multiple people review and accept abstracts in the dynamic system, would you like them to schedule the talks as well? If so, what is the interval of times that should be available?
- Will there be members of the organizing or planning committee that will accept the abstracts? Will all abstracts be included in the program?
- Will you have a program book that includes abstracts? If so, consider cutting off the abstract submission sooner so that the abstract book can be created and printed.
- Will you be having multiple sessions?
- Will you be having parallel sessions?
The following are an example of fields included in a standard conference website with abstract collection. However, customized data fields can be added to support your specific conference needs.
Suggested Data Fields
- Abstract Text
- Type (oral, poster)
- Preferred Time
- Estimated length of talk
|Publishing to Web/Print
- List of authors and affiliations
- Funding Acknowledgement
If you would like to have more control over the data in your conference
database, InfoMedia can develop an Administrative Site just for
you! This site allows you to view and edit data in the database directly from
your web browser, as well as run reports on the data.
Do you want to collect information to help build your program at time of
registration? The Program/Agenda module provides an administrative area to
review, accept or decline submissions and generate reports. Standard reports
include List of Presenters, HTML Program with times, dates, titles, and
presenter names, and Speaker Index (if needed).
Will you need InfoMedia to set up server space for the conference website?
If you would like your website to include online voting for an award, etc.,
provide InfoMedia with a list of questions.