Please update your browser and Flash plug-in to
the latest version available for best results. We have seen
unpredictable behavior using the older version 3.0 series of Firefox
and Safari with SkillSoft (Mac and PC) as well as pre version 9.0 of
the Adobe Flash player. The course will appear to perform normally
but the final scores are not always posting.
MAC USERS PLEASE READ!: If you are accessing the SkillSoft Web training portal on a Mac, we highly recommend that you go here to verify that Java is installed correctly on your machine and it is activated in the Safari Browser BEFORE logging into Skillsoft.
Frequently Asked Questions!
If your questions are not answered in this FAQ, send them to
How do I log into the training?
- Turn off the pop-up blocker in your browser.
- For Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu > Pop-up Blocker > Turn off Pop-up
- For Firefox, go to the Tools menu > Options > click on
the content tab in the options window > uncheck the Block
pop-up windows check box > click OK.
- Locate your SLAC system ID number on your SLAC Directory page. This is your log-in ID.
- Identify the password
- Click here to Launch the SkillSoft system check page.
If you do not see a warning on the system check page, click the red banner and proceed to the SkillSoft login page.
- If you see a warning message on this page, click on the link in this message for further instructions on how to correct your system issue. If you do not see a warning message, proceed to step 5.
Click on the Web Training Catalog tab on the upper
left of the large picture.
Click on the + sign by the folder containing the training you are looking for.
Hover your curser over the course you wish to take after the page loads
and two links will pop up. Click on the "Launch" link to start
- Enter your SLAC system ID and password
- Wait for the SkillPort catalog page to load - if
you see a blank page with the words "Login in
progress" for longer
then 40 seconds, you may need to
install Java. Please see the system
requirements below for notes on installing Java.
- For our quick browser check, click
systems/browsers are listed here.
- Operating systems - SkillSoft training works on
Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS X using the latest browser versions. We have
seen intermittent success with Linux
- Mac Users - Please use the latest version of Safari. Most SkillSoft courses work well with OS X
and Safari 4.x and above. Make sure you have the
latest versions of Java and the Adobe Flash player for the Mac
- Linux users - You may try to access the training on
your Linux machine but we do not guarantee that it will
work properly. We have seen intermittent success with different
versions of Linux.
Please check your My Progress tab
on the left hand side of your SkillSoft home page to verify
that your training has been recorded.
- Browsers – I.E. 7.x and Firefox 3.1 or
Safari 4.x or above on the Mac are recommended. Firefox on the Mac
is not supported.
- Java is required to access the SkillSoft training portal.
- NOTICE: A Java security vulnerability was announced on 1/13/2013. Oracle has released a patch for this vulnerability. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of Java.
- Flash player version
is required to access many of the web based
courses. You can download the
Flash player plug-in from the
From outside of SLAC you can
download Flash directly from
- A sound card is required in your computer along with speakers or
Not all the course names in SkillSoft are
exactly the same as on my
STA, how do I know which course to take?
- Since many of our web based courses were created by our
vendor, some of
the course names on SkillSoft are slightly different then the names in our
ESH Training catalog and STA.
Click here for a list of courses
available on SkillSoft and the ESH Training names they map
- The SkillSoft web training portal is a Learning Management System
(LMS) that is hosted outside of the SLAC network by the vendor. SLAC
downloads training data from their database every evening. Please
wait until the day after you take your training to check that it has
been credited to your training history.
- Yes, the SkillSoft Learning Management System (LMS) will track the
progress of your training. If you stop at some point and wish to
return at a later time or later date, you can proceed where you left
off by returning to your “bookmark”.
- When you complete your training and test in the SkillSoft system,
there is no notification that you have successfully completed the
training. Training is automatically recorded though. You can check
the status of your training by clicking on the “My Progress” tab to the left of
the picture on your SkillSoft web portal
home page (you need to be logged into SkillSoft to access this
information). Click on the Completed tab to see courses you
completed. Click on the In Progress tab to see courses not
yet completed which you have started.
- Yes, follow the steps below:
- Log into the SkillSoft training portal.
- Click on the My Progress tab on the upper left.
- Look for the course you took under the Completed tab.
- To the right of the course title you should see an icon that looks like this
- Click on this icon to generate a PDF of your certificate of completion.
- Print the PDF to your local printer.
I am using my correct system ID number and password
I receive a message that tells me, "Error: Invalid SLAC System ID #
specified". What should I do now?
- You may have logged in before and reset your password. If you
don’t remember doing that or can’t remember the password you used,
you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your password
reset during normal business hours.
If you are a SLAC employee and have an email address on
file with SkillSoft, you can click the “Forgot your
password?” link on the login page outside of normal
business hours. SkillSoft will
email you a new password.