ESH Coordinator Roles and Responsibilities
The SLAC ESH Coordinators at the directorate, division, department, and
group level are the individuals in the line organizations who help SLAC achieve and
maintain excellence in matters of environmental concern and the safety and health of its
staff and the public. Consequently, the ESH Division looks to these individuals
for coordination and assistance with the program that is necessary to accomplish the
ESH mission which includes providing SLAC management and staff with the support and
training necessary to:
- Ensure a safe and healthful workplace.
- Minimize adverse impact to the general public and the environment.
- Comply with all applicable laws, standards, and regulations governing
environment, safety, and health.
Because of this connection, the ESH Coordinators must be aware
of, informed about, and participate with the ESH Division staff in the activities
that are required to carry out both the SLAC and the ESH Division missions. These
- Help promote an understanding and implementation of good
environmental protection, safety and health policies and practices by disseminating
guidance documents and by assisting the staff in their directorate,
division, department or group to obtain the appropriate
environment, safety, and health training and education.
- Serve as the liaison with the ESH Division to help provide the
technical assistance needed to identify and control the hazards associated with the work
processes and fulfill environmental protection, safety, and health responsibilities within
their directorate, division, department or group.
- Direct the staff in their directorate, division, department or group to the services provided by the
ESH Division as needed. These services include: environmental protection, fire
protection services, occupational health management, personnel protection system design,
radiation dosimetry, radiation shielding, and waste management.
- Interpret the requirements imposed by the Work Smart Standards (WSS)
Set for work groups within their directorate, division, department or group and assist supervisors to implement those
- Assist with keeping the WSS Set current.
- Monitor for compliance with the laws, regulations, and standards
contained in the WSS Set by conducting inspections and self assessments.